15 November, 2017
The lazy cook’s version of Bhapa Chingri/Steamed Prawns
I believe prawns and shrimps are one of the easiest things to cook. They are done in a ziffy and taste incredible, that is if you happen to be a seafood lover like me. Baked, broiled, fried, cooked in a curry, they are so versatile. There is a plethora of Indian prawn recipes, but the one I have chosen today is definitely a favorite. ‘Chingri’ or prawns are traditional favorites in Bengali cuisine. They are cooked in so many different ways! Stir fried with seasonal vegetables, cooked in luscious curries like the ‘Malaikari’ ( creamy coconut prawn curry) or steamed with Mustard as in the ‘Shorshe Bhapa’ and so many more. My recipe today is a take on the traditional Bhapa, which of course is a reference to the cooking method involved, steaming. I have opted for a stove top method, so you do not even have to bother heating up the oven. I have tweaked the ingredients a little, reducing the amount of mustard used, resulting in a less spicier. more sweeter flavor profile. This light, oil free curry tastes best with plain steamed rice and makes for a most fulfilling meal. I do hope you like it.
- Prawns : 15 medium
- Yellow mustard seeds : 1.5 tbsp
- Onion : 1 small chopped
- Ginger : ½ " chopped
- Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder : ½ tsp
- Yogurt : 3 tbsp
- Coconut cream : 2 tbsp
- Green chillies : 3 deseeded
- Lime juice : 1 tsp
- Sugar : a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Clean, devein and wash prawns. Marinate them with a little salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, ½ tsp lime juice. Keep aside for 15 mins.
- In a blender , grind together mustard seeds, onion, ginger and 1 green chilli,
- Remove to a bowl, whisk in yogurt, coconut cream, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and sugar.
- Remove prawns from marinade and add to the curry mix.
- Grease a bowl with a little mustard oil, pour in the prawn mixture.
- Add 2 green chillies and seal the bowl with a double layer of aluminium foil.
- Heat water in a large pan, till it reaches boiling stage.
- Reduce heat to medium, carefully lower the bowl into the simmering water.
- Cook for 15 mins. Once done, remove from water and stand for 5-6 mins.
- Uncover, drizzle over some lime juice and garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with rice